Customer expectations continue to evolve at a very rapid pace. According to research, almost 69% of customers expect a seamless and connected experience (CX) when they engage with a company, and 78% of customers expect consistent interactions across a company’s departments. About 86% of customers are willing to pay more for better customer experience and 73% customers consider CX as an important factor that influences their purchasing decisions. Every business is now focusing on providing consistent and exceptional customer experience because that helps set expectations, build loyalty, establish trust and streamline interactions.
One of the best customer retention strategies is to understand consumer tastes and preferences across the customer journey. How can this be done effectively and efficiently? Automation is one of the easiest ways to enhance CX and boost customer retention. Automating the customer experience can also help deliver a consistent brand experience that will meet or exceed customer expectations. Tech giants like Amazon and Google are working to eliminate unnecessary human interaction by investing in Voice AI and rolling out new features and capabilities. Automation bridges the gap between internal workflows and those with customer-facing processes. A company can transform into a customer-centric organization using this type of automation.
So, now that we know that automation is indeed one of the top customer retention strategies, here’s why it’s so important:
- Automation tools don’t require sleep so any form of support is available 24×7. They empower customers to help themselves and save long tedious hours of agent interaction.
- Automation reduces agent workload and because now they have more time, customer service reps can focus on other critical priorities that add incremental value to both the organization and customers. Equally important is the quality of work is greatly improved.
- Automated customer service saves you money, time and training costs because you only invest initially to set up the process and then you can always upgrade the tools when needed.
Here is how you can use automation to improve the customer experience for your brand:
- Automated Feedback and Follow-Ups. Feedback loop will help you solve customer queries better.
- Chatbots are now a must have to cater to customer needs and requirements. Human intervention is no longer considered important to solve basic queries.
- Automate customer self-service using in-chat FAQ chatbots. The chatbot can match customer queries against FAQs and present the customer with the best option.
- Social Media Automation. Popular brands such as Uber, Netflix, Nike, Spotify etc. drive their customer support through social media.
- Personalized automated emails and live chats.
- Automate your onboarding process by either creating notifications that remind your team’s onboarding specialists of tasks that are due or automatically reach out to the customer to inform them of next steps.
- You can automate your customer engagement program to collect insightful data and measure a customer’s sentiment.
Some best practices to help you reap the benefit of automation tools are:
- Automation tools are not a substitute for human touch. When your customers reach out to you, they still expect to be treated with empathy and respect. Automation is to support your agents, process customer information and handle queries.
- Automation tools are a great way to optimize customer service and ask for feedback, once the issue is resolved. You can use automation to field the responses as well. If there’s a consistent issue and feedback is provided, act on it.
- Personalization is key to customer retention and satisfaction. Personalize your automated responses by creating customized basic templates that you can send. Go the extra mile to send personalized emails to your customers to add that friendly touch to build deeper connection with your customers.
- Monitor it, review it, test it, be active when it comes to reviewing your automation software and keep making amendments in your current methods.
- Every time you use automation, make sure you offer a way for your customers to get in touch with a human representative as well. This encourages conversation and communication. This shows them that you want to listen to their feedback and issues which will further build trust, and also show your service is flexible and accessible.
Automation can help you become more responsive to your customers’ needs and expectations. By implementing automation technologies, you can change the way your customers perceive your business and interact with it.